Treats

Home Forums ELO Forum Treats

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jenny Rocke
      Participant

Hi Gillian

There was an interesting question at the end of this week’s webinar about treats.

If I choose to eat in a way that supports my health, that gives me energy, and makes me sleep better – this would mean choosing not to eat the things I consider as treats (junk, sugar, processed food!).

So should that be my intention, to not eat these things at all (or is that too much of a diet/prohibition mentality). Or is it better to aim to just not have them very often. But if I do choose to eat them sometimes, then at these times I would be choosing to eat in a way that damages my health – I don’t want to do that! Also if I choose to eat treats sometimes, then why is it ok to do so on those occasions but not others? I think I’m in a bit of a middle over this!! Do you have any tips on how I could approach this without feeling prohibition?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Jenny, I’ve taken this bit by bit…

So should that be my intention, to not eat these things at all (or is that too much of a diet/prohibition mentality). Or is it better to aim to just not have them very often.
      It’s best to learn how to have them less often, so you don’t set up an “all or none” mindset, where you are either rigidly in control or chaotically out of control.

But if I do choose to eat them sometimes, then at these times I would be choosing to eat in a way that damages my health – I don’t want to do that!
      Eating a bit of something processed or with sugar occasionally may not be such a threat to your health?

Also if I choose to eat treats sometimes, then why is it ok to do so on those occasions but not others?
      You are here because you’re eating these things too much, too often, yes? Using the techniques I’ll be introducing, it’s for you to find your own way with this, so you end up eating less of these things in ways that work for you – and that may change over time.

I think I’m in a bit of a muddle over this!! Do you have any tips on how I could approach this without feeling prohibition?
      I wouldn’t be surprised if others are in a bit of a muddle over this, not just you – so thanks for this question. A crucial point here is that it would be possible to eat considerably less and even abstain without feeling at all like it’s a prohibition. For example, I don’t smoke at all, having quit in 1980, which is quite a long time without a cigarette! But, I don’t ever think of smoking as prohibited. I am freely choosing because I know I have as much freedom to smoke as any 60-a-day chain-smoker. And I don’t have to do it to prove it.

Let me know if this has sorted your muddle a bit; there is still quite a bit more to cover in the course about all of this.

Jenny Rocke
      Participant

Thanks Gillian, that’s helpful. I think changing my ‘all or nothing’ attitude is going to be key.

Interesting point about smoking. I gave up smoking about 10 years ago, and found it incredibly difficult to stop at the time. But now I never think about smoking, and certainly wouldn’t consider a cigarette as a treat these days. So I don’t ever smoke now but don’t feel prohibited about that at all. Perhaps I could feel that way about junk food one day!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.