Trigger foods

Home Forums ELO Forum Trigger foods

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Teresa W
      Participant

Hi Gillian, all,

I have a question regarding “trigger food”. i don’t really know what to buy to eat as I overeat on anything, particularly things that I like very much like apples and steel cut oats. Sometimes I think it’s better not to buy them, but at the same time I think it’s the things I like the most! I know that 95% of the times I buy them, I binge on them until nothing is left. I feel already quite limited regarding what I bring home in order not to overeat. I keep thinking about these foods for days or weeks until I binge on them again.i have tried many times to eat a moderate portion of both of them, but doesn’t work.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Teresa

Gillian

Teresa,

I suspect that the idea of ‘making choices in the shops’ may not be so useful for you. It’s probably more for those who buy highly addictive food, usually manufactured items containing sugar.

For you, the “trigger food” is the sort of food you’d want to have at home anyway and it’s not going to be practical not to have any food in your house at all (as I think you already know!)

Your way forward is to take baby steps to allow yourself to feel your unsatisfied addictive desire and develop the skill of working through that – especially connecting with free choice. This is why nothing has worked in the past. As I’ve said in my reply to your other post, the way to do that would be to use the tool of Plans, and maybe Times too. You use them in order to get awareness of the desire, with the intention of working through it at the time.

Go at a pace that suits you! If you work through your desire once in a day for 5 minutes – that’s a start!

Teresa W
      Participant

Thank you very much, Gillian.

I am not sure I work through my addictive desire in the right way. Since I don’t feel anything in my body, I focus on my addictive thoughts, like the food and quantities I would like to have to satisfy the desire. Is this right or am I fueling my addictive mind? I find that when I do this, obsessive thoughts about food are in my mind for hours, making it difficult for me to think of anything else.

I also try to read/listen to the mp3 recording several times a day, but it only works early in the day. The rest of the day, I’d rather satisfy my addictive desire than holding to the advantages of not giving in.

Gillian

It’s no problem at all to have thoughts of desire, rather than feelings, as far as working with this technique is concerned.

As for your obsessive thoughts that go on for hours, if you go to 2.3, about 25 minutes from the start of the video is a diagram showing what it feels like when you don’t feel free to choose whatever you want to do with your own life. On that list are the words “deprivation” and “obsession” and there are other words right there that you might identify with as well.

It would be best for you to prioritise “this is my own free choice” whenever you experience your addictive, obsessional thoughts of desire. You don’t HAVE TO experience any of this ever, you are free to overeat and continue to do that. Is this something that you can connect with, something that’s real for you?

By the way, we spoke about a breathing technique to help lower stress, and might be useful for the start of the Working Through process. I’ve added a link to a video about this at the bottom of the “Reads and Views” page.

Teresa W
      Participant

Gillian, thank you very much for your answer and your patience.

I’ll try to change my mind and prioritize thinking of choice, the truth is that I think “I want to restrict the amount of food I’m eating because I know it’s much better for me “, and I see this as a personal thought, but it doesn’t seem to work.

The latest weeks I’ve been trying to meditate and practice different breathing techniques, but I have not been consistent and didn’t see any difference either, though I wasn’t expecting much either. I know you don’t grasp immediate results from these techniques.

Thank you very much for adding that link! Very much appreciated!😊

Gillian
      Keymaster

Teresa,

“I want to restrict the amount of food I’m eating because I know it’s much better for me.”
      How about: “I want to learn how to manage and heal my addictive desire to eat so that I can eat less.”

With the breathing, I had thought that if you wanted to work through an addictive desire and you are very stressed at that time due to work pressure, you could expand that first word in the “Working Through” technique into more of a breathing technique to reduce stress at that moment in time.

Teresa W
      Participant

Gillian, thanks a lot for these suggestions. I did a lot of breathing exercises and yoga for more than 15 years, but quit when my father passed away as I couldn’t concentrate anymore and turned to do very demanding aerobic exercise like HIIT and spinning to avoid thinking at all. I will try to incorporate this in the “working through” technique.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.