Unsure about choice

Home Forums ELO Forum Unsure about choice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Emily H
      Participant

When acknowledging choice, I can rationally/intellectually understand I can choose e.g. whether or not to put sugar on my porridge (taking time to get a sense of the whole picture of either choice with consequences). Is this what free choice is – an intellectual exercise? There are doubts and warning voices in the background, but I think these are feelings as they are not logical. The sense of these feelings is ‘you can’t get this right, this is too hard, just give up’. Is this addictive desire manipulating me into having sugar? I try to challenge the feelings with my intellectual/logical thoughts. There is a background sense that this is not good enough and the feelings will always win. I am confused. Feels like there’s so much going on inside I don’t know where to turn. This is where my question about distinguishing thoughts from feelings came from in the webinar.
      The crux of my question is, is free choice a function of the neocortex? What is this experience like, i.e. how will I be able to identify it? I am used to advice such as trust your intuition, know it in your body, etc. when exploring how to know what’s right for me in non-food contexts, and I have a sense this approach might not be helpful here.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Emily H.
      Gillian
      Keymaster

Emily,

To answer your question of how to identify free choice, take a look at your answers in the Exploring Desire section:

“when I don’t satisfy desire I feel angry, agitated, a sense of urgency, indignation.”

All those words indicate some lack of choice, of not activating the prefrontal cortex. So you can trouble-shoot from there. I’ve just added the “cell” diagram to 2.3 so you can take a look at it without going through the video.

If you’re not feeling that negativity arising from not having satisfied your addictive desire, then you’re fine! You notice addictive desire when your porridge doesn’t taste quite as good as it used to, and then you get on with your life.

Emily H
      Participant

Excellent! That’s a clear pointer of somewhere to start from. Thanks Gillian.

Corina
      Participant

To me it is important to differentiate thoughts from feelings. A thought about food, perfection, etc triggers feelings and sensations in my body. Ex for me this morning: After I ate: I want to eat more, but I tell myself: I can’t eat more, then I felt discontent and unloved, then I felt this deprivation in my chest. Then I told myself: I can sure eat more, but I choose to just have this. I will eat later, and I now deal with this experience (thought, feelings, bodily sensations). It helped.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.