Vegetable oils

Home Forums ELO Forum Vegetable oils

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Petra
      Participant

Hi Gillian,

I’ve been watching some of the you tube videos in the ‘reads and views’ section but I’m still confused about which oils I should use to cook with? I know olive oil is healthy but I thought coconut oil is now regarded as pure poison and should be avoided? What about cold pressed rape seed oil? I have a bottle of it at home and it says it has half the saturated fat of olive oil and is high in omega 3. I thought that was a good thing?

Thank you
      Petra

Gillian
      Keymaster

Hi Petra

I’ve followed Chris Kresser since his first podcasts in 2010 and he’s my go-to guy on all nutritional info. I trust that he not only reads the research but also knows how to interpret it and put it into perspective (eg who funded it, how to evaluate in light of opposing views).

So I just did a search on his site for ‘coconut oil’ and found this:
      coconut oil
      and this:
      coconut-oil-is-still-healthy-despite-aha-claims.

Of course, putting such value on Kresser’s take on things is still a choice I’m making, and I’m not going to lay down some law about who’s “Right” about any of it. As for your question about rapeseed oil, ‘cold pressed’ is good, while ‘extra virgin cold pressed’ would be better. And I’m convinced by many that saturated fat is not a problem.

I cook with: coconut oil, butter and lard – and use olive oil and avocado oil in dressings.

I hope this helps.

Gillian

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.