Veggie / Vegan and Choice

Home Forums ELO Forum Veggie / Vegan and Choice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sophia G.
      Participant

Hi Gillian,
      I wonder if you could comment please about choice in respect to being vegetarian. Or vegan. I’m veggie and I don’t feel deprived at all about that. I’m also an ‘aspiring’ vegan ie I’m not vegan but I’d love to be in the future when I can be more organised, and sometimes I have vegan food.

But being vegetarian is absolute for me (and has been for years) whereas vegan is only occasional.

I do feel deprived about some vegan stuff, mainly missing dairy milk in drinks. But the milk’s not a big issue, tho it is a stumbling block in my intention to go vegan at some future date. And a lot of vegan stuff eg soya yogurt tastes horrid to me. So I think there will be less choice on the shop shelves, a much smaller selection for me.

None of this has effected my eating and my overeating either way, I think. But I’m concerned in case it may become problematic later, especially with going vegan.

For me, It’s all for ethical reasons, ie cruelty-free, ( although health benefits and ecological benefits are great side benefits.)

I really think it doesn’t make me feel at all deprived being veggie.
      And when I go vegan/more vegan, I think I’ll happily enough pay the price of giving up dairy milk in my coffee – tho it is a wrench at the moment.

Could you advise or comment please?
      Thanks very much, Sophia.

Gillian

Sophia,

I’d recommend that you move into any changes at all (no matter what they are) with a strong emphasis on freely making choices that suit you in some way AND keeping your options open in the future.

In other words, instead of thinking, “that’s it – no more dairy for me now” you think, “let’s give this no-dairy a try and if I don’t like it I can always go back to it”.

So you keep your options wide open for the future. There’s also the issue of any desire for dairy, which is the Week 3 content – coming soon!

Sophia G.
        Participant

Fab. Thanks a lot, Gillian. Keeping my options open in the future – Will remember that.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.