Home Forums ELO Forum Weight loss motivation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Eve K
      Participant

Good morning Gillian
      I feel great and I want to thank you!!
      For your work

But what if me not loosing any weight is tearing me down kind of? What to do about thoughts ; I feel so much better but if I really “eat less” I would have lost weight also right?

The weight loss motivation is no more dominant as before but I want to be honest thats it’s still there.
      Just in another level.
      Can I work on portion sizes without feeling deprived or super hungry?(like in a more concrete way) or would that be like counting and not a good idea?should I go more with the flow.

Can I still use weight loss as one motivator?next to the non weight loss victories.

Thanks a lot

Gillian
      Keymaster

Eve,

Everyone on this course has their own unique journey to make, so I don’t have any sense of, “she should have lost weight by now” – if that’s what you’re asking.

Yesterday you made a post here saying, “I more struggle with really eating too much” and just three days ago you asked about “bouncing back after choosing consciously to overeat”. Today you ask, “but if I really “eat less” I would have lost weight also right?” I wonder if there’s something I’m not understanding here. Also, keep in mind that we are not quite half-way through the course.

Yes, it certainly is both possible and preferable to eat less without feeling deprived. However, you would do well to consider your background mindset of, “I’ve got to lose weight finally this time”. That’s where your feelings of deprivation may come from.

Eve K
      Participant

Gillian , you are right!
      I am confused if I do eating less successful or not and today I rebelled and felt back into old thought pattern and eating pattern.

Corina
      Participant

This is so powerful, thank you for asking, Eve, and Gillian, for clarifying the impact of the background mindset. So let’s see if I get it clearer: the background mindset is like that picture of the unconscious- the iceberg: some above the water and a bigger part under he water. The undermining prohibitory thinking, which makes us rebel. is this right?

Gillian
      Keymaster

I’m not a fan of the iceberg concept, Corina.

I’d been thinking of the background mindset as a more general belief such as, “I’ve got to lose weight” that supports specific beliefs such as, “I’ve got to stop snacking” etc, etc.

Yes, it all contributes to rebellion, but the “unconscious iceberg” isn’t part of that, in my view. It isn’t particularly unconscious or any more unconscious than the specific beliefs that deny choice.

Here’s an article, if it’s of interest: Iceberg is not a good metaphor

Corina
      Participant

Very interesting article. It makes sense. Thank you.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.