When I’m angry – What I have noticed (Gillian)

Home Forums ELO Forum When I’m angry – What I have noticed (Gillian)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniela
      Participant

Hi all,
      This happend to me twice today….
      I thouhgt about a situation that made me angry and my automatic tought is: GO AND EAT something now. Would I have been closer to my kitchen I would have eaten somthing.

Do you have any suggestion Gillian how to handle these kind of thoughts?

Best,
      Daniela

BTW: yesterday evening I was 3h alone in the kitchen cooking. I have not licked not tasted anything – even though my mind reminded me constantly to do so. I breathed a lot and it worked. 🙂

Gillian

Hi Daniela,

In Week 3 I introduce the idea that emotions such as anger can be a cue for the addictive desire.

Asking, “how to handle this kind of thought” seems to me to be a question about how to handle an addictive desire to eat.

Or maybe I’ve misunderstood something?

Louise
      Participant

Hi Daniela

I can relate to that – when I feel frustrated with work,or cross because there’s too much to do, I get a very strong addictive desire. I know it’s addictive, because often I’ve just eaten and so it can’t be hunger.

For me, it’s a mindset thing – feeling angry triggers thoughts of eating, because in the past I used to eat to soothe myself if I was angry. Now, I still get frustrated and cross with work sometimes, but I expect to feel an addictive desire – that’s just my brain finding an excuse to eat addictively. Mostly, I work through it, and working through includes the option to satisfy the desire by eating. On the rare occasions when I do choose to eat, it’s invariably a lot less and healthier than it used to be, and it doesn’t lead to several days or even weeks ‘off the wagon’, so it helps to remember there is always a choice too.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.