When poor eating choices don’t have immediate consequences

Home Forums ELO Forum When poor eating choices don’t have immediate consequences

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sheelagh M
      Participant

Hi Gillian, I usually get quite dramatic physical symptoms when I overeat sugar and refined carbs so the motivation not to eat them is hard to argue (but I still do). But if I eat smaller amounts I sometimes ‘get away with it’ and don’t feel too bad. But this tends to trigger massive cravings and i want more, I can stop myself for a while but usually end up binging after a few days. Also, I really would like to eat sugar/refined carbs only on occasion because I know they’re not good for me. When i try to stop myself eating the small amount i find my only motivation is… “well if you eat that you will gain weight” or “you wont ever lose weight if you eat that”, “if you have any at all you’ll trigger a binge eventually and you’ll never lose weight”. Could you suggest what I could say to myself to try stop myself eating just the small amounts that trigger the binges later? I’m struggling to find a non weight related motivation to not have 1/2 a bar of chocolate. Thanks

Gillian

Sheelaugh,

Part of your problem here is that you seem frantic to lose weight and part is your denial of choice. So as you integrate these themes, everything works better.

It also looks like you have some “all or none” thinking, in that a small bite or two leads to a binge. We will look at that later on in the course, as there’s. lot to cover first.

Sheelagh M
        Participant

Thanks Gillian, yes i would say frantic is a good word to describe how i currently feel about wanting to lose weight, and my health. And yes, I am very all or nothing. Finishing the week 2 course work last night has had an impact today so far in that i seem to feel much calmer about food today… I have walked past the shop in the hospital i work multiple times today and every time i think “I’ll get some chocolate to have with my coffee” I have immediately thought.. “yes you can go in and buy as much chocolate as you want, you can have it all if you want” and so far I’m choosing not to have it. In fact I’m not really thinking about it that much once I walk past. I know its only the first day I have felt this but I’m happy to just experience a reduction in the obsession and time spent thinking about food!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Sheelagh M.
        • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Sheelagh M.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.