Why weight loss fixation leads to relapse

Home Forums ELO Forum Why weight loss fixation leads to relapse

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Julie Mann
      Participant

Dear Gillian,

I have fallen into a binge eating relapse, as I have done in the past.
      I heard you say (again) in the session 6 lessons, that one reason for relapse is a fixation on weight loss.
      I do my best to redirect towards all the non scale benefits of eating less such as my energy, mood, digestion, sleep, money saved, feelings of integrity, etc.

However, this last time through, I did lose weight. And I did get excited about it. I’m not sure how not to.

And after several binge relapses, I’ve put on some of the weight I lost, which sends me into feelings of panic.

I’d love to understand more about why this desire/excitement around weight loss invariable causes relapse.

Thank you!

Leslie
      Participant

Hi Julie, I just want to say (while we’re waiting for the Gillian response!:) hang in there! and I relate to how hard and discouraging it can feel. I’m trying most of all to remind myself of the learning curve and that mistakes will happen. I am practicing over and over. Anyway, the perspective is easy for me to see when it’s you describing your experience rather than me living mine!😊 Thanks for your post. Leslie

Gillian
      Keymaster

I’m thinking this will be better for me to talk about in a webinar – either Session 6 on Sunday if I have time or even better our Q&A on March 15th.

BUT, the answer really is there in “1.3 Motivation: The Problem”. Excitement around weight loss = prioritising weight loss as motivation behind your eating choices. I go through those problems in the slides in that video.

The reason it’s such a powerful trap is because it’s a huge cultural mindset issue. I doubt that we can even begin to imagine what it would be like to live in a world where our worth is never – and never has been – judged on our appearance.

Julie Mann
      Participant

Thank you Leslie and Gillian!! I’ll revisit that class and Leslie your words of support and wonderful.

Leslie
      Participant

The weight loss thing is still really interesting and sometimes problematic for me. In theory, I really understand that non weight outcomes need to be primary or in balance with wanting to weigh less. Where I get fuzzy is that I also (at least a bit) buy into these statements: I want to eat less so I lose weight and feel lighter/I want to eat less so I lose weight and feel better putting clothes on.

Gillian, how do you hear those statements?

I think one of the strongest non weight benefits I’m getting in touch with is ‘I want to be able to set an intention and follow through, I want to feel that self control and awareness.’

Does that sound too general? I’m going back to basics right now!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Leslie, I’d think these statements are about weight loss:
      I want to eat less so I lose weight and feel lighter/I want to eat less so I lose weight and feel better putting clothes on.

But that balance of your motivation is best known by you and nobody else – including me.

Maybe what’s best is to see how things go, how you do over time, and if you lose weight and then begin to overeat, you take a look at that and troubleshoot using what you’ve learned on this course.

Leslie
      Participant

Thanks, Gillian. Feeling lighter is so powerful. Maybe a non-weight motivation is the feeling lighter that comes from listening to myself and feeling good in my choices, or following through on an intention, or
      taking a stand and really keeping it in mind – all of these help me to feel ‘lighter’ – and that can be independent of numbers and scales. I’ll work on developing that!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.