Wine and the PFC?

Home Forums ELO Forum Wine and the PFC?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicola
      Participant

Hi Gillian,

I’m a bit behind this week and have just watched your video 3:3 – Desire, the solution. It was so clear and so well-presented – thank you! It all makes such sense. I can’t believe no on else is teaching this stuff!

I had a major craving for some wine last night. I’ve discovered that the wine is a major trigger for overeating – Lucy and I were mentioning yesterday that the “wine and crisps” combo is very addictive. I have a question about this – would it be true to say that drinking the wine affects the ability to activate the PFC? Do you know of any studies on this? I did manage to resist the wine through remembering my work on motivation and choice, and telling myself this was just my addictive desire (and thankfully didn’t feel deprived). I did this because I knew that I wouldn’t be able to stick to 1 glass, and when I’ve had 2 glasses the crisps get raided! But – I can’t wait to include this work on properly “working through” the desire as well.

By the way, I am finding the shifts I’ve had through just those 2 themes (motivation and choice) to be extraordinarily effective. I realise I need to fully include this third piece but already I feel differently around food. Not as frantic and driven.

Thanks, Gillian, for your amazing work!

Nicola x

Lucy
      Participant

Hello Nicola,

Yes I agree wine/alcohol can be a big trigger of overeating for me too…interesting queston about wine and the PFC,
      thanks!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Nicola, really good to hear that you are finding value in this course. I’m delighted.

– would it be true to say that drinking the wine affects the ability to activate the PFC? Do you know of any studies on this?

No, I don’t know of any studies. My view is that the major impact would be from the belief that you cannot make a choice after drinking wine, rather than the effect of alcohol in the brain.

Consider how quickly you would ‘sober up’ if there was a real, life-threatening emergency – the house on fire, your children’s lives at risk. You wouldn’t be alcohol-free legally, but I bet you’d be able to think quickly and act appropriately.

This issue with wine will be good to use for the written exercise at the end of Week 4 – “4.6 Next: Exploring Mindset”.

Nicola
      Participant

What a brilliant response! Duh!!

Nicola
      Participant

It could well be that just having a glass of wine in hand is the cue….

Gillian
      Keymaster

Even thinking about having a glass of wine can be a cue!

Nicola
      Participant

It being Friday is a cue!!!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Take a look at the Webinar Replay for Week 3 on Desire. Around 8 minutes from the start I list “Friday night” as an example of the cues.

Nicola
      Participant

Yes, thank you. Definitely food for thought for me.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.